Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Tomato Eater

Have you ever heard of a dog that eats tomatoes? Well, this is a new one to me. I was in the family room the other evening, and I was startled by Will's bark. It was coming from the kitchen, which is connected to the family room. While he does like to bark, it didn't seem like a 'let me out to go duties' kind of bark, nor did it sound like his bark warning me that someone was coming to the door. Besides, it would have been Emma who barked first, as is the usual. I thought I had better check it out, so I got up to see what the proble was, and there he ws, standing in the kitchen with front legs splayed and head down, ready for the next bark. He looked at me, then looked over to his right, to make sure that I would look there too. What I saw was Emma, madly chomping into a big red tomato that was nestled in the half bushel box of tomatoes that I had just purchased. There were set on the floor where they were waiting for me to make chili sauce with them. Emma did not even stop to look up at me, she just kept munching away at the tomato, while Will and I watched. She seemed baffled when I told her to stop, and even more so when I picked up the box to remove the temptation. It was as if I had just taken away her favorite toy.
When I examined the damage she had done to the tomatoes, it was as if she took a little bite out of the side then sucked the juices out of them. Very strange indeed. Who knew that dogs like tomatoes. I definitely won't be leaving any more boxes of fresh tomatoes on the floor. And I will listen to Will when he is barking - you never know what Emma will be doing next!
Tomatoes by Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

web tracking