Monday, February 16, 2009

Housetraining problems

OK, I guess I've finally realized that I have to change the way I'm trying to housetrain Will. He's become a pee-machine in the house, and it's got to stop. Emma has really been pretty well trained for weeks now. She does still have the odd accident, but at least it's where it is supposed to be, on paper, and only in Will's area, which to me seems like she's marking.

With Will, it's a totally different story. He pees in the morning on his paper, even if we wake up as soon as we hear him to let him out. There's been a couple of mornings when the paper is dry, but that is it. He pees near the gate of the family room, he pees in the middle of the room, he pees near the door to the garage, he even pees in his crate. We're trying to get him to jingle the bells on the gate when he wants to go, but he only seems to do that if he wants out of the room to see Emma or someone else. He pees every half hour, or so it seems. We are totally frustrated.

So, I've finally realized that I need to keep him crated at almost all times. If I can't give him 100% attention, then he's going to be in his crate. I think the problem is that I have been letting the two pups play outside their crates too often, and it's frustrating me because I can't get anything done, and because even if I let Will out every half hour, he still pees inside. I try to work at the computer, to work in the kitchen, or even to be on the phone when they are out of their crates. I now realize they are just not ready for this, or at least Will isn't. So back in the crate for some serious crate training. It seems to be the only way to combat this problem from the websites I've visited. It is definitely worth giving a try.

This is a difficult problem to solve, but we are up for it! Patience, perseverance and a little love won't hurt.

By the way, the one and only website that I found that had more info on solving problems was this one: http://www.foxvalleypets.org/dogs/?details=16&page=264 This looks like a rescue shelter in Wisconsin and they do a really good job on the information on their website. All other sites had basic housetraining information, but not how to solve problems. Not all dogs are text-book cases, so it does help to have some extra tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

web tracking